Subscribe to the podcast HERE if you have an iPhone – or check out this link if you want to listen on an Android or other device!
Disclaimer: This podcast does not provide medical advice. The information on this podcast is for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Episode 34: Update on MIS-C and COVID in Children with Dr. Anita Patel
In episode three, I had Dr. Anita Patel on the show to share her invaluable knowledge on MISC. She graciously returned to answer all of my listener’s questions related to the Covid-19 Delta Variant. There has been so much chatter about this on social media and the news, so I’m grateful that I got to pick the brain of an expert on the topic. From treatments used to the results of the vaccine study, she fills us in on the facts that you’ve been wanting.
Dr. Patel is a pediatric critical care doctor, assistant professor, and NIH funded researcher at Children’s National Hospital in addition to being a 500 hour RYT yoga teacher. She uses her social media to show the human side of academic medicine that she so lacked as a medical trainee with a focus on motherhood in medicine, her IVF journey, and the raw difficulties of finding balance in this chaos.
In this episode we discuss:
- How Covid’s effect on children has changed throughout the pandemic
- Treatments that have been found to be effective and ineffective
- Ways healthcare workers are dealing with the pandemic two years later
- Pfizer vaccine study results in regards to safety and efficacy in children
Connect with Dr. Patel:
Connect with Lynzy:
Questions Answered In The Episode:
- We’ve had this crazy Delta variant that’s come through this summer, did that change anything?
- Do you think the Delta variant doesn’t cause MISC as much as the initial virus?
- What are you seeing with the Delta variant compared to what you had seen the last time we spoke when Covid wasn’t affecting children as much?
- How much of an increase of covid cases in children have there been since last year?
- How are you treating these patients, oxygenation and steroids?
- Have you treated any children with Ivermectin?
- What are your current waiting room times now?
- What are your thoughts on vaccinations for children five years and up?
- What is the average age of children going to the hospital with Covid?
- What do you think as far as testing guidelines? When should kids get tested?
- Are you seeing long covid in children?
- Would you recommend vaccinating your child if they have had Covid?
- I’ve heard there’s an uptick of MISC in vaccinated kids, is there truth to this?